Wednesday, February 10, 2010

OOooooo Brother!

The other day.... I was talking to my brother, Kade. He said, "Kimber, you guys suck at updating your blog." I think I came back with some witty/smart alleck comment like "Yes, brother. It's because we have something called lifes.... you wouldn't know anything about that."
The converstation continued, and the mocking and witty comments kept coming from both ends. This is the way my brother and I are together. This converstation made me realize... 1.) I think I really do "suck" at updating this thing, if my brother even points it out. And 2.) I'm really going to miss this guy!!
Thus.... this blog was inspired.
Brother (that's his name around here) sent in his mission papers last week!! In our church, 19 year-old men are encouraged to serve a two year mission and share the gospel with those that are interested.  It takes about 6 months to get papers filled out, all the proper shots, medical and dental "okays", and interviews taken care of.  Those boys that are interested in serving a mission, can then send the papers to the first pesidency of the church, in Salt Lake City. The first presidency will view the letters and records, and send these boys their "callings." Until they recieve these letters, they have no idea where they will be serving (if it will be in the states, or not.... whether it will be in a third world country, or not.... whether it's a place where they eat cow tongue or road-kill on a regular basis...... whether you have to learn a second language..... etc.)

It's kind of been a joke where we all think Kade is going to go. We keep saying Moses Lake, Washington (where we grew up), or Albuquerque, New Mexico or Salt Lake City, Utah (where all our family is). My dad went on his mission to Spain. My brother-in-law went to Brazil. My Uncle went to Japan.... and I think most of these 19 year-old boys think it would be neat to go somewhere out of the country. But the reality of it all, is that you are serving the lord. It doesn't matter where you are called. And lets face it.... I think mother would sleep better for those 2 years if Kade was called somewhere in the states! Brother should recieve his calling in the next few weeks..... I'm excited to see where he is going!!

That said.... it's starting to hit me that brother's going to be gone for 2 full years!!! He's the only boy in the family... with 5 sisters! Who are we going to make fun of? Who's is going to be my dad's golfing buddy over the summers? Who is going to call nightly, and talk for hours to whoever decides to answer the phone? That boy can make me laugh.... "Kimber, stop laughing at him..... you're just encouraging him." -my mom would tell me on a regular basis. I'm proud of you, and I'm going to miss you brother (shh.... don't tell anyone!).

Other updates:
Story of our life...... school, work, wedding! We go to school all day (5 days a week)... we both work 4 nights a week at chili's (Erik works at his other job in between classes during the day).... I attend dance class 2 nights a week.... Erik attends labs 3 nights a week. In the little spare time that we have.... it's usually spent studying and doing homework. We both make sure school is top priority. And when that's done... it's wedding planning!

WEDDING UPDATE!
I don't think there's much to update since the last one. But we did book our honeymoon! We're going to the Myan Palace in Puerto Vallarta, MEXICO!!! Thanks mom and dad. I'm very excited!
We also got out all of our "Save the Dates." Sent out a big stack last week.... and another stack this week. So hopefully you all are recieving them soon. If I didn't have your address and you want one.... let me know! We've got extras. Anyway.... um..... we're in the middle of contacting florist and caterers. Thanks to both of our parents for all the help they are giving us! It's desperately needed.... and very much appreciated! This weekend we took Saturday off and we are going to register (not sure where.... thinking Bed bath and beyond, and target. suggestions?) Oh yeah.... and we are beginning the designs of our announcements! Hurray.... I know, i just sent out the save the dates.... I'm a little behind. But it'll all come together.... right? 3 more months.... and we'll be married! That's all I'm focused on.

Back to studying I go.... Hope all is well!!!

3 comments:

  1. I can't believe our brothers are growing up. On more than one occasion my mom told us to stop laughing at Chris because we "were only encouraging him!" I love it! I can't wait to hear where Kade is going.

    And....I'm happy that your wedding plans are coming along. Yay for getting married! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. We received our magnet! Jeff said he's impressed with how good they printed off. Yay!

    ReplyDelete