Sunday, November 29, 2009

~Thanksgiving '09~

Hey All!!!
Hope you had a wonderful Thanksgiving! Sorry we've been MIA this past month. A lot has been going on. Have lots to catch up on...... I've actually started about 3 blogs the past few weeks, but never had time to finish them. So hopefully with pictures downloaded, and a slight (and I mean very slight) break in my schedule...... we'll get some more posts up this week to replace the last 3 or 4 weeks of missing blogs.
Before I post about the past events, family trips, and new updates...... I wanted to first share about our Thanksgiving 2009.
I've always been a firm believer in "everything happens for a reason." I found it ironic that Thanksgiving came right at the perfect time in my life. I know..... Thanksgiving falls at the same time every year...... but at this exact point in my life..... it was wonderful to have a hit of reality with the holiday season. You may have noticed in previous post how everything was kind of negative. I "never had time to do this....." or "our lives are so busy!" I've always thought I was an optimistic person, but when it comes down to it, I sometimes tend to focus on the negative things. To name a few: what if I don't get into nursing school my first time applying? There is NO WAY for me to please everyone in making wedding plans.... and I hate upsetting people. Working two jobs and going to school full time is stressful! Money, family, friends..... there are always going to pros and cons to every aspect of life...... And I need to start focusing on the positive things in life.
Opposite side of the spectrum: I'm GOING to school..... I have the opportunity to succeed in something. I'm getting married to the most amazing man! I at least have a job and an income. I have a family that loves me and supports me. I'm grateful to be alive and healthy. I'm grateful for the gospel and the blessings it's brought to my own personal life. I'm grateful for my new family (Erik's family) and look forward to spending time and holidays with them. I have so much to be grateful for and it has taken me some extreme measures (personal battles, parents advice, and a season of giving thanks) to recognize these things. All in all, Thanksgiving was not only a time to spend with family and to give thanks..... it was also an answer to my prayers and put me in my place. Good work holiday season!!!!!
With that...... we had a very very very fun Thanksgiving day! My mom's brother (my uncle) Kendall came down with his family for the very first time! It was fun having them here for the week. They have the cutest family.
Football is a must on Thanksgiving. We all got up and met a group of friends at the park to participate in the "Turkey bowl." It's a family/church tradition my family loves doing every year. I'll admit...... this is more for Erik's like, than for mine. He showed up bright and early with his gloves and game face ready to go! I showed up late..... took some pictures, participated in a few plays.... and left early.


My beautiful mother cooking!!! She hates me taking pictures of her..... and even more when I post them. I just had to..... I'm so grateful for my mom! She is the strongest, kindest, most caring....... words cannot describe how wonderful she is. She's my idol!!

Boys played xbox..... Erik was in heaven having a few guys around for a change.
And the girls cooked..... typical.
My dad and uncle carving the turkey......
It was my cute cousin James' 17th birthday. He kept saying "thanks for spending so much time cooking dinner for my birthday." He makes me laugh.

Brother came home! I enjoy Kade being home. He cracks me up..... and yes his hair is in a ponytail. He also enjoys being home and being around all his sisters! (for those that don't know..... there is 5 girls and 1 boy in my family)

We played cards...

And then....... karaoke time!!!!! My dad's friend Barry joined us for Thanksgiving and brought over his karaoke machine. It was a definite hit in this house! Highly recommended. He was an awesome singer....

My aunt Kim and cousin Elizabeth taking on "the monkey's"
My handsome dad taking the stage...... he actually is a really good singer!

A group of us singing "Summer nights" from grease.....
The sister's singing dancing queen (we really aren't good!)..... We needed you Crysti!!!

The boys trying to outshine us.......

After 4 or 5 hours of karaoke, we headed to the movies (another family tradition) to watch "old dogs".....

Another amazing day to add to the books! We hope everyone else had an awesome thanksgiving as well! Love you!

Erik- "I have a lot of thing that I am thankful for this year. A loving family, great friends and a brand new beautiful fiance! I am also grateful for my health and how fortunate i am to have two jobs and a roof over my head. I would like to take this opportunity to thank those who got me here and helped me become the man I am today. I love you all"

2 comments:

  1. I'm glad you were able to change your attitude and outlook on things. I try to be happy all the time but with so much negative around it's hard ot stay positive at times. It's to recognize that there are so many good things happening around us when we're not feeling the best. Keep it up! And yes, your mom is awesome. Love her.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kimbie every time you post I always wish I was there. It looks like your thanksgiving was a lot of fun-I missed all of our traditions this year. Also Kade and a ponytail ummm not sure what to say. I really enjoyed yours and Eriks lists of things you are thankful for.

    ReplyDelete