Sunday, October 11, 2009

Engagement!!!

Alright.... So one of the main reasons we decided to start blogging is because we literally have friends and family everywhere (New Mexico, Utah, Washington, Montana, New York, Guatemala, South Carolina..... you get the idea!) Anyway, we thought this would be a fun and easy way for all those interested, to keep updated on us. And even if no one reads this...... hey, at least we'll have it for ourselves to look back on :).

So.... here's for the story and pictures many have asked about..... the engagement!!! It's always been a joke of mine, that I would never be surprised when I got engaged.... and I would definitely NEVER cry!! (I'm weird about things.... this blog will bring this out)

Erik was aware of this.....A few months ago Erik called to let me know he had plans one of the weekends we were up in Washington. He was taking me to eat dinner at the space needle (very expensive) and to a Seattle, Mariners baseball game. I thought this was very odd considering Erik has NEVER planned a single thing in his life (that may be an exaggeration.... but not by much). I let him know I thought this was weird and in the nicest way possible said, "you better not be proposing!" (I know I'm kind of a brat but I had this fear of getting engaged/married). Anyway.... I prepared myself, and honestly was expecting a proposal that night of the space needle. Erik knew this, and had a smirk at the end of the night when he did NOT propose. He later asked "why I thought I was getting a ring" and informed me it would be a LONG time before that happened. I told him my reasoning (him actually planning the date) and didn't think anything else about.

September 19- It was a Saturday. I worked in the morning, Erik got a hair cut and ran some errands, and we had a typical date night planned for that evening. Erik was slightly off this particular Saturday morning, but again I didn't think anything about it. I planned date night..... We were going to dinner at an Italian restaurant, and then going to see "love happens" (chick flick-that's what he gets for letting me plan things). A few hours before heading out, Erik was very anxious and kept staring at me and smiling. It took me a while to notice, but once I did I didn't let it go. I kept saying "why are you looking at me like that?! You're freaking me out!" "Erik what's going on.... are you proposing to me tonight?!" "Erik! I hate surprises, you better not be keeping anything from me" (Again..... I'm a brat!)

I then analyzed everything I knew..... Erik had not been to Albuquerque at all without me (only real place to shop for wedding rings). He did not know my ring size. He had not talked to my parents (they had not been acting weird). I had planned date night. And (I'm not proud of this), but I had checked his phone and he hadn't talked to his parents, nor was there any messages to or from his friends and family saying he was going to propose. I then knew.... no proposal.

Long story short..... we went to dinner. I think I had a two hour conversation with myself (I find myself pretty entertaining so I hardly noticed..... Kidding!). Erik went to the bathroom multiple times and was sweating and still anxious. He claimed he wasn't feeling well.... and was taking his time ordering everything, which made us miss our planned movie time. I was slightly annoyed and hated that I didn't know what was going on with him...... but again, knew there was no ring coming my way. We finished dinner and had about an hour before our movie started. We weighed our options, and Erik decided it was a nice night and we should go on a walk while waiting for a movie. Again.... I did most of the talking on this walk.

We came to a park.... and all the sudden Erik was on one knee!!! (this is that part where I should have been screaming YES!!!! but that's not really me.) I can't even explain this feeling. I know he was talking, but I honestly could not tell you a single thing he said. I was freaking out! I literally thought it was a dream, or something other than reality. I kept saying "shut up! shut up!!!" "this isn't happening" "what are you doing?!" He tried putting the ring on my finger and I held my hands behind my back (I know.... I'm very romantic). I was trying to bring myself to reality and take it all in. I was definitely surprised!!!

Erik knows me all too well. He saw my reaction and got up (poor guy) and just hugged me and calmed me down. We talked a while.... blah blah. I did not, for one second, doubt my love for Erik. I knew I was 100% in love with him, I knew he was the man for me (again... I'm weird!). I told him my concerns.... finishing school, being so young, our financial situation..... Not feeling like I deserved him. more blah blah blah!!! (Everyone reacts like that, right?)

After I was as calm as I was getting in this situation..... Erik got back on his knee. He told me he knows me.... and if there was anything he had learned in the past 3-4 years of dating..... it's to be persistent. He understands my concerns.... but knows more that I'm the one for him. He told me he loves me more than anything. He does not doubt we will have trials, but knows we'll go through them and work them out together...... knows we have a lot in store for us and wants me part of his future. As his wife.... as the mother of his kids, as his best friend for eternity. At that point.... there was not a doubt or concern in mind.... and there was nothing left for me to say except YES!!!

WE'RE ENGAGED!!!!! BAM! Thanks for being persistent Erik! I love you!


So there it is..... It may not be the "perfect proposal" but it's our proposal. As my aunt Suz said, "It wouldn't have been you if it happened any other way." I was VERY surprised (that's an understatement)..... and I did cry (don't tell anyone)! Two things I secretly wanted for my proposal, but was convinced would never happen. Another thing to add to my list of "reasons why I know Erik's the one."


3 weeks of engaged life..... and I love it!!! I'm in the stage where I keep staring at my ring. I'm started to call Erik "my fiance" and not completely freaking out. And I'm accepting the whole "wedding talk." One step at a time :)

(Sorry these pictures are so bad! My ring has been off to be sized for the next 12 days and we forgot to take pictures of it. These are a few Erik had on his phone. Not sure why my hands look so wrinkly, but at least you get an idea of what the ring looks like!)

I love my ring! Erik had gone with my sisters-Rachelle and Kelsy- and picked out the ring when I was in Washington a few months ago for my friends wedding. He also asked for my parents' blessing that same weekend. He did good, right?!


6 comments:

  1. Cute, cute, cute! Definately the guy for you and it is hard when you get married, but even if you waited 5 years for the perfect time it will still be hard at times. But if you wait those 5 years look at all the things you miss out on because marriage is the most wonderful thing in the world after children, but those can wait. :) Ohhhh....I remember those college days. By far the most stressful yet the most fun. CONGRATS you two! Awww.....so cute.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You guys make me laugh. Erik does know you well and I am glad he asked again! I love your ring!

    ReplyDelete
  3. ok.. kimi once again.. CONGRATS u guys look so much in love i love it soo much.. yea married life can be hard but is the most awesome feeling ever.. ull love it.. he REALLY KNOWS U REALLY WELL.. like crystal said glad he asked again... love the ring.. i love u.. <3 take care

    ReplyDelete
  4. Congratulations! That is so exciting! Enjoy every minute, because they sure fly by!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love your ring! It's pretty. Also, great story. I love proposal stories that are so personal. Congrats!

    ReplyDelete
  6. CONGRATULATIONS! :-D Wedding planning is so fun and marriage is even better! Your ring is beautiful. Good job Erik!

    ReplyDelete