Tuesday, January 22, 2013

Home make over- Weeks one and two

Week 1: Entry way
I think the entryway is the most important part of the house! Most of the time, that is all anyone ever sees.

Would you even call this an entryway?? There is not much of an entryway here... when you walk in the front door it is one big room that is used for a living room/dining room/ entry way. Usually it was a little more spruced up with some holiday decor, but for the most part.... this is what you saw when you walked in our home-
 I didn't hate it..... but I didn't love it.  The painting had better uses (as it is the only semi large art work that I own), as did the table. My vision was a little different, but for the most part, I love the way it turned out-
 I feel like the skinny bench was more fitting for this type of "entryway" and it actually really opened up the room.
My amazing husband spent a few nights building my the cute bench and that adorable coat hanger tree... I think he did awesome!! what do you think??

 I have had some pictures frames I found on clearance at Kirklands last spring just laying around (we are talking like $2-$4 for even the big ones!). I thought they would be perfect for the entry area.
I also already had the mirror that was laying around (found it on clearance at hobby lobby for $9.99- got to love good deals!!)
 And if you know me- you know I am obsessed with quotes (and pictures)..... so had to add a cute vinyl board to pull it all together.  

Over all- I spent $17 on wood for the bench and the coat hanger, and $7 on fabric and batting. Everything else I had just laying around. $23 total is not bad for this little makeover, right??



Week 2- Laundry room
Here is my embarrassing before pictures.  I could have at least shut the washer, right??


It was a mess!! There was detergent all over the washer, you couldn't find anything in the "cleaning supplies cabinet".... it was boring..... I hated it!!
 Our laundry room is very narrow and small. Pretty much- all there is room for is a washer and dryer (I suppose that is all you really need, right?).  I would love laundry hamper drawers.... or an awesome folding table- but not happening! There was not much room for an "extreme makeover" but think the few little things I did to this room added a ton!! 

 Erik added a shelving board behind the washer and dryer- which added a lot, in and of itself.  
I added a few dollar store frames and little valentine decoration I had laying around (I go to the dollar store every few months and allow myself to spend $5 dollars on nonsense- I'm a fan of the dollar store and my purchases  usually include picture frames, decorative rocks, seasonal decor, plastic containers, and fake flowers... I know, I'm strange. But I have found a use to almost every purchase I have made from that store!). I also added a three wick candle and word blocks (another favorite) that I already had.
 There is not a ton of wall space that you actually see.... but for the little space I did have, I printed off a couple of little quotes.  The cute one was a free printable I found here. And the other one I made- I know, it's boring and ugly.... but it will work for now. I found these 8x10 frames the other day at walmart for $3.

And on the other wall- I added a key/mail rack that we had pick from Bed Bath & Beyond with a gift card we had ($9.99) and added a cute little decorative quote that someone gave us when we got married- "Family: today, tomorrow, and forever"
 I also cleaned this guy!! I scrubbed this room from top to bottom- pulling out both machines to clean behind them, mopped the floors, cleaned the base boards, scrubbed both the washer and dryer, washed the walls and both doors, and organized the cabinets.
 *Side note: Who honestly has 8 decently full room spays?? Oops. And 3 of them are the same limited edition fall spray.... I think I bought one every time I went to the store in October. Maybe I thought they would be worth something someday since it said "limited edition"??
  
We spent about $16 on the shelving board and brackets, and $6 on the frames for the quotes.  Total, this room makeover cost me $22!! Yahoo!! (Can you tell I am trying to keep it around $20 total each room/week... I'm doing decent so far!)
 
 There it is!! Not much of a change to you, perhaps.... but it sure is a huge difference to us!! We almost always come in the garage door, so this is the first thing we see when we walk in the house and let me tell you.... it's much nicer walking into this than what it was before!! Thank you Crystal's Craft Spot for motivating me!!!


1 comment:

  1. I can't believe Erik built the coat rack too its awesome and I really love the bench! Your laundry room turned out really cute too. And I do really like the printable you made, its such a cute quote.

    ReplyDelete